I’ve been getting our Solaris environment setup in the College of Architecture, and one of the things I quickly realized with zones is that I’m going to need to setup LDAP to have any sort of efficient way of managing user accounts. Once this was setup, I quickly realized the need for NFS to be setup and thought that it’d be fairly straight-forward to setup (like it is on Linux). This turned out to not be the case.
I followed the instructions on several different sites, including sites talking about setting up Solaris Jumpstart servers. One of the first things I realized was that I needed to get a copy of the Solaris 10 software so I can install packages. We were lucky enough to have friends over in the Department of Computer Science use their jumpstart servers to setup our servers, so I didn’t quite have media available.
I went on Sun’s web site, downloaded the DVD and burned it to disk. Then I found out that some of the automounting functions on our Solaris boxes were not installed, thus forcing me to go through the rigarmarole of trying to mount a DVD to be able to access it. In short, the command is:
-F hsfs is required for it to mount right. The actual disk (in my case,
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2) will differ from server to server, but you can find where your DVD drive is located by using:
You can see my DVD drive based on the output above.
Anywho, once it was mounted up, I followed the instructions to install the following packages:
But, when this was installed and I setup my dfstab correctly, when I did shareall, I still got the following error message:
I scratched my head, and Google yielded no valuable answers for me because it is obviously a vague error message. Only when I actually when to the server console (or checked /var/adm/messages) did I find out what was going wrong:
Googling these error messages yielded no answer, solution, or even indicated that someone out there may have the same problem as me. When I consulted with the guys in Computer Science, they indicated that they were using Solaris 10 revision 4, not revision 5. Given the date that I downloaded the software (approximately May 27th), I quickly realized that I have revision 5. They sent me over the software for revision 4, I uninstalled the packages above and installed the older packages, and everything worked just peachy. :-)