I’ll leave these mostly in the form of hyperlinks to their own forums:
- They store passwords in cleartext
- HostGator doesn't send maintenance notices through email
- HostGator throttles emails from each domain
- Despite throttling (see #3), HostGator's servers still get blacklisted
- HostGator's support team does actually ask for passwords, which is a no-no in the tech biz
I could list a dozen others, but clearly this is ridiculous. I’m moving away from them ASAP and I suggest that anyone else do the same.